DOJ dies, people cry, buy better games instead :awe:

PCB problems and fixes
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Re: I don't f*cking believe this, my DOJ is dead.

Post by JAMMArob »

Kern, did you neutralize the acid after you removed the corroded battery?
VectorGlow
eBay: realflight

Post by VectorGlow »

White vinegar will neutralise any corrosion, then wash with water and leave to dry thoroughly.
Arcade game board repairer
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

That could be the source of your problem. You have to neutralize the acid, or the corrosion will continue long after the battery has been removed. The damage has likely been done, but you may be able to repair it. Nonetheless, you need to get rid of the acid.

You need to use baking soda. Put some on a Q-tip and wipe the area around the battery down with the baking soda. Let sit for a few minutes. You may see some moisture form as the acid is neutralized (depending on how much is on the board). Wipe the area down, then clean with a damp rag. Dry off as much as you can and let the PCB sit for about 24 hours. This will neutralize the acid properly.
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

At least it's not too far gone - I've seen some real horrors in my time where someone has put a board aside for a few months (or years) and then found that the battery has leaked like mad and done some major damage. Not nice.
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

You can imagine how many Doj PCBs are suffering the same fate as they sit on operator's shelves. Some private collectors probably don't check either.

This more than likely has a lot to do with the price spike for this game. Finding one that has been maintained and "restored" so-to-speak is a real gem. In the future, buying a Doj PCB will be a gamble, as you won't know if it has ever been opened, and what damage it might have seen in the past due to acid corrosion.
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

Just out of interest (and no, this isn't supposed to be a ROM request!) but I assume that the two EPROMs have been dumped for DOJ ? It's not supported in MAME ........... yet.
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

I doubt it too.
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

dump my roms
That's what SHE said.
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

Those roms are already dumped, its the roms that are embedded in the ARM CPUs that are not, yeah, those surface mount jobbies with killer protection. :)

-Joel
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

Thought that was very likely the case.
Dave_K.
Please Continue...

Post by Dave_K. »

A little late to this thread, but I'm sure Kernow has seen this posted on shmups before.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25866

jamma4life is correct, after removing the battery, you should clean the board and nearby components to neutralize any remaining acid, which will continue to eat through traces/components long after the battery is gone. On mine I just used a little bit of vinegar and baking soda, along with a small wire brush to clean the resistor pack to the left, and you can see in my after picture how much a visual difference it made.

Once you see the white powder forming around the battery terminals, its already leaking and needs to be removed, and nearby components cleaned. The board will function fine without the battery, so no worries Catzoo.

Another failure of the DDPDOJ board is caused by the metal case, which in its visual coolness factor, actually decreases the lifespan of the PCB due to heat, especially if the fan fails! I recommend operating your board outside of the case. This also helps in quickly identifying if/when your battery starts leaking.
Drakon
Please Continue...

Post by Drakon »

damn that sucks I love the metal case. I'd just keep a close eye on the fan and maybe install an extra fan if heat's really that much of a concern
Catzoo
Please Continue...

Post by Catzoo »

Thank you :)

Hopefully , my board is not as " dirty " as your picture on Shmups !

i'll change mine probably in a week or two , as hakoniwa made big order of varta batteries on Neo Arcadia :)
hakoniwa
Please Continue...

Post by hakoniwa »

Talking about battery, I had this answer from Yumiko Fujita.
ESPGALUDA, DDP DAIOUJOU, : NOT NECESSARY
KETSUI: NOT NECESSARY , BUT NEED INTIALIZE (When first roop demo stop)
DDP DAIOJOUJOU BLACK: NECESSARY (If Battery remove, and then become Rom Error).

As I said I'm sure the battery is not necessary but I'm afraid it's better to replace it if (in time) it is used to load the game.
Anyway I made a gathered order of battery from France to one of your UK CPC shop. :awe:
The Enigmatic Form
Please Continue...

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

I think my DOJ is ****, too. Didn´t play it for a while, since I don´t have a vertical monitor setup anymore (and most likely never will again). About a half year ago I connected it again to my cab because I wanted to check something out and didn´t have any other jamma stuff at hand, and noticed that it wouldn´t boot sometimes. I noticed that the battery leaked a little bit, so I took it out. Unfortunately, according to this thread I didn´t clean it properly, I just did it the way I would clean it if it would have been dirty. After kern´s post I checked my DOJ again it just won´t boot anymore. Sometimes the screen remains black, sometimes there are just a lot of numbers.

So I don´t really know what to do now. I wanted the sell the game anyway because I wouldn´t be able to play it again. I could get it repaired and sell it afterwards, but what do you guys think if I sell the defective PCB and the metal case separately? I think the case would be quite interesting for people who want it for their Ketsui or Espgaluda, wouldn´t it?
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

It would be worth more if you got it repaired, even factoring in the cost of the repair.
The Enigmatic Form
Please Continue...

I´d think so, too, of course, but I´m not sure if it is worth the hassle, somehow I just want to get rid of it. :x

How much would it be if you had a look at it? :)
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

If you just want rid of it then it might be worth flogging it on Ebay. Will PM you with repair details.
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

If you did end up just selling it I'd take it off your hands. Been missing my DOJ and if I can repair it then it'd get a lot of use, case or not ;)

-Joel
The Enigmatic Form
Please Continue...

I decided to consult an expert to get it fixed. :D