Help with the Arcade Wiki

For monitor related issues
theretrobristolian
eBay: ion-bru_kid
Initials: DAV

Help with the Arcade Wiki

Post by theretrobristolian »

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well, I really want to contribute to the wiki, but it isn't something I've done before.

I want to start with the Nanao MS9-29 page, I've recently re-capped one of my MS9s and spent a long time fully auditing the caps, pots, modern replacement options, sizes etc. I've also purchased an original MS9 manual and plan to hi-res scan it, make it an OCR'd searchable PDF and upload it etc.

I've never done wiki editing before so what I don't want to do is edit the page that is there already until I'm 100% sure I know what I'm doing, and generally people like the new updated page.

I've tried to find a 'new page' button and can't work out if I have permission to make new pages? I guess what I'd like to do is make a new 'test' page (even if its hidden to the masses) and play around with the formatting and lay everything out how I want before I'm ready to publish.

Would someone be able to give me some pointers to get started on this. would I have permission to make a page, upload some documents/pictures etc and lay it all out how I wish with a built in table etc?

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Help with the Arcade Wiki

Post by cools »

theretrobristolian

cools wrote: December 30th, 2023, 7:31 am Create a page inside your user area, like mine: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/User:Cools/MAME

E.g.
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/User:The ... tolian/MS9
Thanks for this! I had no idea that's how you triggered file uploads and creations - that's kinda odd, but I'm now on my way to making a page for review :-)

I'll post back with the page when I'm a bit happier just to get some thoughts and pointers.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Once its done, you can then copy and paste the code to the real page.
theretrobristolian

cools wrote: December 30th, 2023, 5:19 pm Once its done, you can then copy and paste the code to the real page.
Exactly what I was thinking.

It's still early days as I have a lot to tidy up on it, but it's starting to look like what I had in mind - Could you cast an eye over this with some thoughts?

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/User:The ... ian/MS9-29

I'm trying to have a standard layout with some key info on the page to help others quickly looking for accurate parts/adjustment values etc.

Thanks,