Jaleco PONY ~MK IV~ "Revival".

Show off your wares.
Neo Gold
eBay: neo$gold
Initials: N$G

Jaleco PONY ~MK IV~ "Revival".

Post by Neo Gold »

Its been quite a long time indeed, and some of you may remember a few of my old Restorations...Think they are lost on the old " Killercabs" Website :) .
What i wouldn't give to have those cabs back now! :( ..

Luckily i still kept all my old photo's of them, but now its time to move onward & upward!.. :D

So...i was looking around trying to find a cheap Candy, unlucky for me i was still stuck in the past prices & what i paid for mine & what i sold them for back then..
Oh my, was i in for a shock!...i was finding cabs costing well over a grand in much poorer condition & monitor problems.. than decent ones years back with A1 monitors for half that!! :-o wtf!!...what's going on?...with mint cabs now commanding thousands!!. :sick:

I backed off with Candy hunting & thought i would pick up a few of my old favourites, wow!..i had to go sit down & deal with my next trauma!..PCB Prices, my my...things have gone Bananas!...some pcb's i picked up years ago for say £100..& plentiful, now costing £1000 + take time to find... :wtf: .
I'm getting there now though & getting my collection together & in order...i want to be back to where i was before, & determined to get there too.
I really have missed this hobby, much more than i thought i would.

Well...after much searching & pm's etc, i came across something that caught my eye, & in dire need of some TLC!!.. :( , I only noticed it on here through you guys chatting about it on Ebay finds recently...'The great Hopper' cheers matey...its come home to me now .
Here it was~
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114750678761

What a mess.

But i really do appreciate a decent challenge..
WANTED! .. Any Tatty old candy cab!.
Neo Gold

Re: Jaleco PONY ~MK IV~ "Revival".

Post by Neo Gold »

Much damage & fractures...but more horrors lurk inside! :wtf:

This is a TRUE definition of a Jamma harness in a "BAD MESS" ...cut & bodged wiring, earths flapping about bare wires & chocolate block AC wiring antics!!
Dirty great big internal stepdowns!!...you name it its all here, inside this Pony!!...spiders & sticky sweets, coca cola etc etc..
Hell, i had to quaranteen the damn thing! :lol: .

FFS ...someone had even had it partially stripped & attempted a repair on the monitor..they had broke even more of the ABS plastic. damaged the cab/monitor seat further & just threw it all back together!!...look at the photo of the chassis/TOP...Some Johnny Dick fingers had fit the chassis the wrong way around!! :lol: :lol: ...and very nearly damaged the LOPT flyback!!...i crapped myself when i saw the monitor sat on it inside FFS!! :mad:

No key for coin box....hmmmm, full of money ?
Nasty...cracks & holes & so many cig burns...but the NOVUS will sort all this out! :lol:

Bloody Vandals!!....think i'll need more than CILIT BANG!!. :palm:

Also whoever Hammer & chisled out the monitor kindly put it face down onto some dirt/stones..& moved it about thus leaving some lovely scratches right in the centre of the screen, also scratches top left & right.

But said seller explained the monitor displays no picture...at all now & one time was a garbled image ??..
SO main priority is before any restore can commence...is to actually get this Pony working!, BUT before i even THINK of passing voltage through this, i'll need to strip out all the main components & thoroughly clean & inspect EVERYTHING!!...And that internal stepdown needs to go & Power put back to how it was in japan.

Please accept my apologies for grammar & things..its nearly 3am in the morning & i'm absolutely shattered!..days are ultra busy for me now & my life and circumstances have drastically changed...also i cannot stay on this project constantly,like i could in my previous resto's :cry:

One good point to mention though, the HITACHI GMK-29FJ Is completely burn free!! :awe:
Fingers crossed.
This may take me some time folks.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

This is a big one!!!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes 8-)
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

Jesus Christ, just take it around the back and finish old yeller off.

Jokes aside, anything can be fixed but this one surely is nearing on the impossible.
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

Agreed, that is a job alright! Will be watching this thread closely
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

I wondered if you had bought it, I do remember your restorations and think it will look great when finished. Good luck :thumbupright:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad?

A lot of work, absolutely, but everything's doable.

Nice grab.

The Hitachi has a very distinct picture, I like it a lot. Very different from a MS9.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

nem wrote: June 17th, 2021, 12:53 pm Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad?

Nice grab.

The Hitachi has a very distinct picture, I like it a lot. Very different from a MS9.
Can much/anything be done about scratches on the screen?

These are things I need to know in case I take on a braver restore in future...
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Other than the control panel and surround it doesn't look too bad. Looking forward to the results. :thumbup:
ChrisBEANS wrote: June 17th, 2021, 1:12 pm Can much/anything be done about scratches on the screen?
Buffing the anti static coating off with Novus would be a good start.

novus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

but dont unless you havvvvvvve to. :lol:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

If you have a rotary sander / polisher, it's pretty quick work. If the scratches are deep (run your fingernail on them, if it catches on them, they are), don't be afraid to hit it with a coarse sanding pad. Novus won't do jack ****.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... tor.11302/
Neo Gold

Post by Neo Gold »

ChrisBEANS wrote: June 17th, 2021, 1:12 pm
nem wrote: June 17th, 2021, 12:53 pm Honestly, I don't think it looks that bad?

Nice grab.

Can much/anything be done about scratches on the screen?

These are things I need to know in case I take on a braver restore in future...
Cheers Chris, & yes scratches can be removed...but takes patience & time...stay cool + wet + slow..no more than 200 rpm on your drill/buffer...use a decent electric one...as your lithium ones won't like it!.
All you need is an automotive Glass polishing kit...very cheap to buy & you will be using Cerium Oxide Powder...wear marigolds & eye protection doing this & keep your buffing head damp!...make up a small amount of power & add small amounts of water until you have a nice paste.
KEEP IT SLOW...otherwise your paste will fly off & generate heat.
You will need a couple of old towels to place around the screen edge & mask off the edges to catch any fly off or water....if i get the monitor working i'll show some photo's for you. ;)
You're right Nem...just plenty of patience & time!...no rush..stay 8-)

Thanks Lads....it'll keep me entertained, still got nowt to play my PCB's on though in the meantime!! :lol:
Neo Gold

Post by Neo Gold »

Ok....lets dismantle the mucky bugger! :)

Bag & tag all parts!!..

Glad the header was free from damage..also the speakers are in great order too! 8-)

Oh dear, more damage!.. :(

Locked...but not for long lol..what's inside!? :think:
Lets get at the coin box outer housing & get into it with no damage... :shifty:

Creepy crawlies fly out...and :eh:

Almost there!!...coin box counter revealed!...how many plays?. :-o

Am i gonna be rich?...

Yay...Loadsa money!! :awe:

Open sesame!!....

Lets pull everything out now...no going back.
Filthy...

This needs to be eliminated !....step downs in cabs are a pet hate of mine. :problem:

Chocolate block connectors begone!.. :lolno:

Main components on the bench for a clean & inspection!.. :think:
Chassis & neckboard are caked in dirt.

Filthy heavy Hitachi ..warts & all.

There was no way...NO WAY i was going to put power through this without doing an initial check & deep clean first..
Then magnifying glass out & scrutineer!.

I took the Yoke readings that evening.
VR: 9.1 OHM's.....Brown & yellow
HR: 1.6 OHM's....Red & blue.

Monitor type : A68KFS60X....Seriel : A3K275227
Hitachi : GMK-29FJ.

Right lets clean things first...so we can see what we have & spot any potential problems..& rectify.
I'll sort out the main 100v power circuit 2nd & put it back to how it was from Japan...& use an external step down .
Oh look at the time!?...i'm off to bed.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Almost 20 euros in change, not bad!

The anode wire on that flyback looks a bit suspect. That chassis is a complete pain in the **** to recap by the way, hated doing mine.
Neo Gold

Post by Neo Gold »

nem wrote: June 18th, 2021, 8:58 am Almost 20 euros in change, not bad!

The anode wire on that flyback looks a bit suspect. That chassis is a complete pain in the **** to recap by the way, hated doing mine.
Thanks Nem...but the anode cable is in perfect shape thank goodness...its a thick plastic sheath over the HT cable you can see...its been removed to clean it, i will re use the sheath as its protection in that area from edges etc.
You're telling me matey!!...its densely populated & not much room to get in places..stand off pcb's don't help do they!. :problem: .
Yeah the money was a sweet suprise!! :awe:
Cauterize
Please Continue...

Post by Cauterize »

Really excited to see how this progresses! Keep the pictures coming :D
http://www.RetroCollect.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geldra

Post by geldra »

Pleased that the piece of broken off control panel was preserved.

This’ll be quite the turn around when it’s done! Pretty uncommon cabs.

Is there anything that can be done to strengthen the brittle plastics? Is this a thing with Pony 4s generally? Sure I’ve seen something on arc-projects where a Pony 4s CP was damaged in transit.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
Neo Gold

Post by Neo Gold »

geldra wrote: June 18th, 2021, 2:26 pm Pleased that the piece of broken off control panel was preserved.

This’ll be quite the turn around when it’s done! Pretty uncommon cabs.

Is there anything that can be done to strengthen the brittle plastics? Is this a thing with Pony 4s generally? Sure I’ve seen something on arc-projects where a Pony 4s CP was damaged in transit.
Hello Adam.. :)
Thanks..yes there not too common really, and i have good memories of playing on these quite a long time ago!...styling maybe not be everyones cuppa but i really like them!...although i would say Jaleco reduced cost & ease of build with the design...but glad they opted for a decent monitor!.
Brittle/damaged plastics?...yes sure, just a little time and patience is needed & fabricated alloy strengthing pieces made up & used in conjuction with Epoxy resin & plastic fillers is all...i'll show my process here soon, as anything..prep takes up 90% of time...painting is the easy part!.
And yes pony mk-4's are known for their plastics & poor design, but you have to remember..a harsh public environment ..and hey, its quite old now 1993!.. :-o
Last edited by Neo Gold on June 18th, 2021, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neo Gold

Post by Neo Gold »

Cauterize wrote: June 18th, 2021, 1:16 pm Really excited to see how this progresses! Keep the pictures coming :D
Many thanks Adam....will do matey!! :thumbup:
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com

Post by ChrisBEANS »

I’m glued to this!!