Sega Swing restoration

Show off your wares.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Re: Sega Swing restoration

Post by copados33 »

emphatic wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't mind owning that. Looks fantastic with D&D in it too.
You need a 4 button per player panel for that one ;)..but, if OP is running Mame he can just map start for magic/item select and starting game at the same time :awe:
mattsoft
Please Continue...

Post by mattsoft »

Impressive restoration on a very unique cabinet. Nicely done! :clap:
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

zipper wrote:All done! :cry:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

There's a bit of light bleed from the marquee past the bezel - i need to stick the bezel down. I also need to turn the brightness down on the monitor a bit.
Other than that, it's done. 8-)

I'll get you the measurements for the header + a square on picture shortly, Zumbito. I need to work on the wife a little bit - so I can get it out of the conservatory and into the house proper.
Wow! That looks so nice! Hope mine cna look like that one day! Waiting for those pics, no rush. BTW I see the marquee is not transparent but has some orange color to it right?
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Absolutely stunning! 8-)
zipper
eBay: bazpatts
Initials: BAZ

Post by zipper »

Thanks guys. I'm really pleased with how she turned out - anyone passing through Southend is welcome to come have a go.
I considered using a 4-button layout that's been made available....
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?i ... stomv2.png
... But the p1 and p4 sticks are mounted at angles :problem: . It might seem like a reasonable thing to do... but there's a reason why no one has ever mounted sticks like that... Your brain wants to move the stick in the direction the sprite moves. It has nothing to do with where you are stood - so playing on that panel would be a mindf*ck.
That and the fact there's already 16 buttons on the panel.... it really doesn't need 4 more :lol:
The game in the pic is Golden Axe - only needs Attack, Jump and Magic.

Z - The back of the marquee is 1mm yellowish plastic. I'll get some pics when i get home. I was thinking a yellow acetate sheet would probably be a good replacement.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

That looks absolutely ace. I love how you've not painted or polished it up to high gloss mirror shine, instead keeping the normal sheen of it :awe:
arcadista
Initials: AIL

Post by arcadista »

Impressive work, over the top attention to details. My most sincere congratulations from a restorator wannabe to a consummated one.
Greetings from Argentina.
zipper

Post by zipper »

haha - thanks dude!
cools wrote:That looks absolutely ace. I love how you've not painted or polished it up to high gloss mirror shine, instead keeping the normal sheen of it :awe:
Thanks - The finish worked out ok! I bought a VW RAL9002 car kit as a test. It came with primer (for the metal parts), base-coat and clear-coat. The primer and base-coat went on really nicely.... I was left with a satin finish which looked good (and similar to the original finish). It looked so nice, I didn't bother with the clear-coat at all. It would have taken it to a gloss.
The colour isn't quite the original... but I do like the grey-white compared to the brilliant / creamy whites. Expensive picking it up in cans though.
By skipping the clear-coat it's probable that the paint isn't as durable, but then again I'm not going to be driving it up and down the M1 :-P
There seem to be people that have finished their cars with base-coat (to give a matt/satin finish)... and the cabinet seems to survive a good clean, so I'm not worried about it coming off.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

copados33 wrote:You need a 4 button per player panel for that one ;)..but, if OP is running Mame he can just map start for magic/item select and starting game at the same time :awe:
Wouldn't it be possible to add this functionality making a JAMMA adapter that connects both B4 and START to the same input? Along with a custom instruction strip of course. Or... a joystick with a top button could work too. :lolno:
zipper

Post by zipper »

emphatic wrote: Wouldn't it be possible to add this functionality making a JAMMA adapter that connects both B4 and START to the same input? Along with a custom instruction strip of course.
Nice idea. Super easy in Mame as copados33 says. JAMMA pins '25' and 'c' are button 4 for p1 and p2... just linking them to p1/p2 start ('17' and 'U') would do it. Could do the same for the CPS2 extra p3/p4 connectors too.
Because the Konami 4p games (TMNT, Simpsons etc) need a coin slot for each player (no option for common chute), a similar thing needs to be done... coin + start mapped to the same connector / mame input.
The dedicated 4p TMNT / Simpsons cabinets we saw (in the UK at least) that only had 1 coin slot, they all had a dedicated credit board that would accumulate / distribute credits and flash the start buttons.
emphatic wrote:Or... a joystick with a top button could work too. :lolno:
:think: :palm:
zipper

Post by zipper »

Hey Zumbito -
Header is 390mm high, ~525mm wide at the bottom (but open the header art I linked you too earlier in photoshop etc, and it'll give you the exact max width). Tapers up to 435mm at the top.
It's 5mm clear acrylic. Behind it is 2 pieces of yellow plastic.. less than 1mm thick each... 1 is a large U-shape, and behind that is the second sheet... that creates a little pocket for the art that you can slide in from the top. The yellow pieces are 310mm tall (i.e. they don't sit behind the vinyl art).
There are 6 plastic screws holding 3 pieces together.
Eddhorse
eBay: Eddlowry
Initials: EDL

Post by Eddhorse »

Absolutely amazing work, congrats ! Its gorgeous.
Another cab saved for a long time.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

zipper wrote: ... But the p1 and p4 sticks are mounted at angles :problem: . It might seem like a reasonable thing to do... but there's a reason why no one has ever mounted sticks like that... Your brain wants to move the stick in the direction the sprite moves. It has nothing to do with where you are stood - so playing on that panel would be a mindf*ck.
I remember playing the Spiderman game in one of these cabinets back in the day and it was quite comfortable, the cab was placed over a wooden pallet so players could play while standing, I don't remember having any problems choosing always the 4th player, it was the best way to avoid underarm odor and trading sweat with 2 guys at both sides, only thing I had to do was to move a little more to the right to position myself in the comfort zone :awe: .
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Excellent work!
zipper

Post by zipper »

Thanks nem and copados33. I must give Sega Spiderman a go 8-)

With the panel layout and angled sticks... I meant that Players 1 and 4 are fine as long as sticks are all mounted + + + + ... i.e. up=north.... no matter where the player is stood. Every original 4p cabinet .... Gauntlet to TMNT... they all mount the sticks that way.

Some custom 4p designs get creative and mount Players 1 and 4 differently.... normally trying x + + x ... i.e. up=northeast for p1, and up=northwest for p4.... the idea is to try and make it more comfortable when stood on the edge... but usually people wish they hadn't as soon as they start playing because it's so unnatural.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

Absolutely perfect. Excellent job, I'm adding your final pics to my "Inspiration" folder ;)
2X Sega Aero City
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

zipper wrote:Hey Zumbito -
Header is 390mm high, ~525mm wide at the bottom (but open the header art I linked you too earlier in photoshop etc, and it'll give you the exact max width). Tapers up to 435mm at the top.
It's 5mm clear acrylic. Behind it is 2 pieces of yellow plastic.. less than 1mm thick each... 1 is a large U-shape, and behind that is the second sheet... that creates a little pocket for the art that you can slide in from the top. The yellow pieces are 310mm tall (i.e. they don't sit behind the vinyl art).
There are 6 plastic screws holding 3 pieces together.
Thanks Zipper, That helps a lot! What about the width at the top?
battlesmurf

Post by battlesmurf »

zipper wrote: Regarding the header surround... it's just a 5mm thick strip of white plastic with 2x 90 degree curves put in it (probably by applying heat). It's not a complex fibreglass moulded piece etc. I think it should be repro-able if someone has the time. I'll run a tape measure around it when I get a chance and post up the measurements (likewise with the header).
Anybody willing to do this has my money.

Gorgeous cab btw.

As far as locks go- your cab had all of the factory tangs/tongues/etc? I have the two odd ones from the monitor, but the rest were all different sizes or missing outright when I started. Any chance you have pics of what yours look like?
Mokum
Please Continue...
eBay: noizer2k3
Initials: MKM

Post by Mokum »

Simply awesome!!!
alienmame wrote:Christ on a bike man
zipper

Post by zipper »

zumbito wrote:Thanks Zipper, That helps a lot! What about the width at the top?
435mm :thumbup:
battlesmurf wrote:As far as locks go- your cab had all of the factory tangs/tongues/etc? I have the two odd ones from the monitor, but the rest were all different sizes or missing outright when I started. Any chance you have pics of what yours look like?
Here's the panel and screen tongues...
Image Image
I just used normal locks/tongues for the doors (3x, all keyed alike):
As a side... I been playing Thunder Zone, 4 player with the kids - what a great game!
BTW - it looks like postimg.org might be shutting down soon and they host all my pictures. If this happens, I'll look to try and host them elsewhere and edit my posts.
Last edited by zipper on October 29th, 2016, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.