Degaussing

For monitor related issues
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Degaussing

Post by grantspain »

try (whilst the machine is on) rotating the cab 45 degree's to see if if affect the picture
maybe this is not a degauss issue-a photo would help
fagin

Post by fagin »

I had this on my first cab. I used a step down transformer to degauss and did it as you should. It would not permantly get rid of the patch. Had to get another monitor in the end and have never had a problem since. The automatic degauss function of the original monitor would never shift it either.

I have no idea what causes this, unless someone techy can explain what is the cause. Obviously something is bust.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

fagin wrote:I had this on my first cab. I used a step down transformer to degauss and did it as you should. It would not permantly get rid of the patch. Had to get another monitor in the end and have never had a problem since. The automatic degauss function of the original monitor would never shift it either.

I have no idea what causes this, unless someone techy can explain what is the cause. Obviously something is bust.
either the ptc component on the degauss circuit is shot,you have a magnetised bolt or monitor frame,a speaker is too close to the tube,the position of the cab is near a strong electro-magnetic field or the crt yoke has dropped from position.
msm
Please Continue...

Post by msm »

grantspain wrote:try (whilst the machine is on) rotating the cab 45 degree's to see if if affect the picture
maybe this is not a degauss issue-a photo would help
cool, thanks again for the help. i'll be trying this at the weekend when i can get some help to rotate it.

it's not a cab if that makes any difference? it's like an monitor type thing, sony pvm 2730qm.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0347410250
msm
Please Continue...

Post by msm »

took some pics, wasn't sure about how best to show the problem, the red screen shows it quite well, does this give any ideas if it's a degaussing problem or something else?

red before degaussing:
red during degaussing:
red after degaussing:

green:
blue:
msm
Please Continue...

Post by msm »

probably no use to anyone but just in case....i bought another one of these monitors as they are really nice and i just thought i'd got a dodgy one...the second one had the same problem but not quite as bad. after a lot of messing round with tilting, moving, degaussing, without really knowing what i was doing i came up with a makeshift solution untill i can find something better - if you turn it on then spin it ~70 degrees to the right and the colours look a lot better. anyway i wouldn't recommend a sony pvr 27qm for tateing.