Fight sticks: mods, improvements, what did you do?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
NASguy

Re: Fight sticks: mods, improvements, what did you do?

Post by NASguy »

Does LS-56 fit into an LS-32 mount on new astro city?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

SuperPang wrote: July 24th, 2023, 5:56 pm Mini me.
Such great stick and pic 8-)

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

NASguy wrote: October 7th, 2023, 8:03 pm Does LS-56 fit into an LS-32 mount on new astro city?
I would imagine so. What mounting plate are you using on your LS32, SS plate? If so, check dimensions but something like the SS P-40 plate might fit your CP.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Franco I think it's the flat plate but it could be SS I need to check, and the control panel is a seimitsu licensed panel.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Ah if its a flat plate you need there are a couple of flat plates that fit the 56, MS and VF. One of those should fit. Check the dimensions of the holes on your panel and compare them to the plate dimensions.
Ddshot
eBay: Camp-dea

Post by Ddshot »

Looks super cool,sure thing dude I would luv to check it out👍
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Does anyone think the DIY community has killed premade sticks? I noticed the new Hori sticks are a bit ****, they seem cheap quality even compared to HRAP Kai sticks, I was surprised it's even smaller than my old HRAP. Madcatz died and their last stick was even just some cheap clone that didn't even have proper PS4 support without a DS4 pad plugged in. No one really else makes quality sticks? Qanba? Doesn't seem to be many options besides premium DIY builds or old bodies you fix up. I hope next Tekken has a fresh model stick maybe, the Street Fighter 6 design was fugly.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

what came 1st the cheap stick or growing diy'ers :penser: , id say ever increasing prices drove people to diy a good quality stick

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Mas Systems sticks are what I used back when the best stick you could find were those Sega Saturn sticks using the Astro City parts, though there was a cheaper variant single stick version of that which used crappy parts. The US sticks were all **** even the US Sega Saturn arcade stick was **** (it was the black/grey one). Seemed like the 360 era was the golden age for prebought sticks that even came with real sanwa/seimitsu parts. Now it seems like even if you buy a $200 Hori stick you have to instantly mod it with $50-$80 in hardware. Putting together $230 some odd money to do a full custom build seems like a bargain compared. Seems like the preboughts are dead to me.
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

71Dzx7WJI9L.jpg
Seimitsu LS3201MS (with JST plate)
Sanwa OBSF 24 x 2
Sanwa OBSF 30 x 2
Ribbon JST XH 5 pins
Dustwasher
Balltop rubber coated
PXL_20240108_092112352.jpg
PXL_20240108_092657421.jpg
PXL_20240108_093618963.jpg
PXL_20240110_160441368.jpg
PXL_20240110_155609561.jpg
PXL_20240110_163018910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

So all those parts fit in that thing with no other mods? That's pretty good ****, what is the curb weight on the stick? It looks like I would ragdoll that thing
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

If you get the newest revision yes. Its a weighty stick thanks to some plates, and the plastics are superb. Some people complain that the plastic top flexes compared to a metal CP but I have to wonder just how hard they're handling it.

I have two, my only complaint is my palm rests on the edge rather than the flat.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

That's pretty decent for $90 + $50 in aftermarket parts. They are pretty vague about what this supports on the Amazon listing, it says Switch and Windows, I'm assuming it also runs on PS3 and any other system that can support normal PC type USB, so should also work for the Shottrigger ports on PS4.
shelcoof
eBay: shelcoof
Initials: SNK

Post by shelcoof »

I'm really big into arcade fight sticks

Anytime I can use my Fight stick for home console gaming or my supergun I would
Been modifying and playing around with different levers and push buttons since being introduced to them when Street Fighter IV released

Started off with the Madcatz SE and I still love that one
I've collected a number of different fight sticks since then

[My top 3 favorite fight stick]
Virtua Stick High Grade
Brook Universal Fight Board/Brook Retro PCB
Modded with an OTTO V5 with Panasonic AM4 switches 1mm oversized acuator[Exact same micro switches used in Seimitsu's Old LS-32/40]
Added aditional base plate to lower height of lever down to 1.5mm
Stock Sanwa Push Buttons
Description:
Small comfortable form factor with a solid weight not too overly heavy
My daily driver
Lever is designed for both shmups and fighters in mind

Hori Fighting Edge [PS3version]
Modded with an OTTO V5 with Panasonic AM4 switches 1mm oversized acuator[Exact same micro switches used in Seimitsu's Old LS-32/40]
Hori Kuro Push Buttons [A nice in between Sanwa and Seimitsu]
Custom Neo Geo Blue art with logos across
Description:
Love the NOIR layout as it provides enough space between both my hands. The Fighting Edge has a lot of palm space and makes you feel like your playing in the arcades on a cab

[Mayflassh F500]
Hori Kuro Push Buttons [A nice in between Sanwa and Seimitsu]
Custom Neo Geo AES joystick art made to look like an AES Joystick
Description:
Love the feel of this joystick specifically when playing shmups. The ball top's height is perfect and I can weave through bullets with ease despite being bad at shmups. Kuro buttons are sensitive enough but have a tactile feel which I love

[Top Levers]
Modded JLF/Hayabusa with the OTTO V5 Mod
LS-32 was my main lever until I discovered the mod for the JLF/Hayabusa lol
I can't wait for the OTTO mod for the LS-32
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

I always wanted a Virtua Stick High Grade, Sega hardware was always a bit rock solid, dunno if Hori actually made that for them or not. I had the Saturn Virtua Stick with the 8 buttons for a time, it wasn't one that had the sanwa parts in it I don't think. Seems like the body for that stick is what became the RAP design most everything else was based on. My original Madcatz TE model was so good I really didn't need anything else for years. I used to be the person with a stick for every console and even a supergun but glad to only own two atm.
shelcoof

Post by shelcoof »

NASguy wrote: April 6th, 2024, 9:12 pm I always wanted a Virtua Stick High Grade, Sega hardware was always a bit rock solid, dunno if Hori actually made that for them or not. I had the Saturn Virtua Stick with the 8 buttons for a time, it wasn't one that had the sanwa parts in it I don't think. Seems like the body for that stick is what became the RAP design most everything else was based on. My original Madcatz TE model was so good I really didn't need anything else for years. I used to be the person with a stick for every console and even a supergun but glad to only own two atm.
Never owned the Saturn Hori stick but heard a lot of good things about them. Came stocked with Seimitsu lever

I've owned a number of Hori sticks for the PS2/PS3/PS4/XBONE/X360

Their offerings for the PS2 were probably the best built in my opinion

Quality starting going downhill for Hori after the PS3

But now that you mention it the VSHG build quality is on par with the old RAP for the PS2
Solid construction solid bolts holding things together

I am a fan of the Madcatz TE sticks that first came out
They weren't the most solid sticks but they set the standard

I still love my MadCatz TE-S
Looking to put in an OTTO V5 mod in it when stock becomes available again :D
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

PS3 and 360 sticks were the golden age, so many models, almost every new game had one, even those stupidly large Vewlix models.
shelcoof

Post by shelcoof »

I do love the era of the PS3 and 360
Those days was when I got started on my journey into arcade sticks

But now is the time where there's just a ton of offerings from custom art to custom levers and various other parts

People get pretty creative and artistic with their builds

Even now we have new offerings from Sanwa and Seimitsu with the JLX and the NOBI etc

I just ordered a Seimitsu SEL-70 and I'm excited to try it out when it arrives 😋

Now is the time for arcade sticks 😁
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

I'm not really into complicated fan builds, though. I want to just buy a stick and put the lever/buttons I like on it, maybe new artwork. But the premade sticks now are cheap feeling, from Hori etc, plastic is thinner than ever ugly designs. The fan builds are actually better now, some of the parts they 3D print/fabricate and higher quality than Hori. Parts are still good from the real companies Sanwa/Seimitsu, but I really have no interest in changing spring sizes, or spacers, levers, just give me a JLF or LS32 stick to use and I play a game, it's simple, once you expect to change every part to be happy it just becomes a mental crutch. If it isn't stock on an arcade machine I'm not going to expect it, that's why I would only play on Happ, JLF or LS32 because if you went to arcades you'd know it (less relevant now, I realize). Still last times I was in japan for a few years I got to play on many cabs running JLF/LS32 in the wild, it was nice, they are still there. The way it is now in fan communities is akin to building a custom PC with RGB lighting and colored cords, lots of marketing going on and hypebeast culture, it's not something I have interest in, and for many they would rather take pictures of their stick for reddit than play games. So for me when the companies stopped making the premade sticks so good something was lost. I think Maybe Qanba still makes good stuff, but too expensive for me to bother. All I really have to do on a stick is change out the buttons/stick to Seimitsu if it already doesn't come with them. And I mean people were doing that even in 1990s on Sega sticks. The best tech current day are the small multiboards you can slap in any old stick to run on current systems, so literally you can use anything from the past when it was high quality to keep going.
MonkeyJuggleDX
eBay: monkeyjuggledx
Initials: ANL

Post by MonkeyJuggleDX »

I’ve still got a few sticks and sold even more but the ones I currently have are

PS4 VLX with Hayabusa lever & OBSF buttons
PS3 VLX with Hayabusa lever & OBSF buttons
PS3 Fighting Stick V3 with JLF & PS-14-G buttons
PS3 Fighting Stick N3-SA - Sanwa parts as stock
PS4 RAP V V2 - Optical Hayabusa lever and OBSF buttons
PS4 RAP V V2 red & black - LS-32 & OBSF buttons
PS4 RAP V V2 Silent blue & black - Optical Hayabusa lever and OBSF buttons

No prizes for guessing my favourite combination of parts!

Funnily enough my favourite stick design out of all of them Is the all plastic FSV3. Just a shame a Busa lever won’t fit in them without major butchering. That and there isn’t a PS4 model with a touchpad(They did a PS4 Blazblue version but it was early so no tp).

Also I just can’t get on with the Noir layout.