Removing screen burn

For monitor related issues
tennokoe
eBay: Psycho-q
Initials: JAA

Removing screen burn

Post by tennokoe »

I have read somewhere that Sony used Ultrasonic Cleaners to remove burn marks from their PVM screens at their factory refurbishing proccess, I wonder if anyone else have ever attempted this at home? I have been told that I would need a big enough cleaning battub able to fit a CRT inside (of course) but also one able to produce stronger sonic waves since the water is not in direct contact with the burnt innards of the screen, but that in theory it should work, it is a shame that these things are not cheap, even the smaller good quality ones cost and an arm and a leg.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Removing screen burn

Post by emphatic »

Now this is interesting.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I can't get my head around how this would work , and surely it would have been more cost effective for sony to just replace the tube?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

It makes more sense that the phosphor is replaced rather then cleaned.
Rebuilding CRTs

CRTs used to be rebuilt; repaired or refurbished. The rebuilding process included the disassembly of the CRT, the disassembly and repair or replacement of the electron gun(s), the removal and redeposition of phosphors and aquadag, etc. Rebuilding was popular until the 1960s because CRTs were expensive and wore out quickly, making repair worth it.The last CRT rebuilder in the US closed in 2010, and the last in Europe, RACS, which was located in France, closed in 2013.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Was the OP waiting for the 1st of April to pass before posting this.