Vewlix clone

Show off your wares.
Xenepp

Vewlix clone

Post by Xenepp »

Not sure if you guys saw this or if there was a thread on it but some French guy made a Vewlix clone about Sept last year and it looks amazing.

http://www.gamernator.com/?p=46

The forum is in French and be warned that babelfish breaks the crap out of it.

-Joel
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray
Re: Vewlix clone

Post by Parris »

Xenepp wrote:Not sure if you guys saw this or if there was a thread on it but some French guy made a Vewlix clone about Sept last year and it looks amazing.

http://www.gamernator.com/?p=46

The forum is in French and be warned that babelfish breaks the crap out of it.

-Joel
Holy ****, nice job!
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Like having sex with one of those silicone real dolls: it's not the same thing.

Actually silicone dolls are better, you don't have to cuddle after sex :awe:
Vagina
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

You have to admit though, it looks damned close. It's just a shame he never added the back of it and the speakers/bezel.

-Joel
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Looks great, wonder what control panel that is??
geldra

Post by geldra »

Thats flipping brilliant.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

That awesome, I guess it wont be too long before clone Vewlix kits start appearing then ?

I'm seriously considering getting some tools and wood :-) and having a go, how hard could it be ....

what we really need is someone who can produce a kits we can purchase ....
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

kit you can purchace would be awesome. I can realise my dream of having a pink one then :-p
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

There must be a business opportunity for someone ? The perfect kit would be painted fibre-glass, but i'd happily settle for an unpainted wooden kit, seriously how hard would it be ?

Get an original built up, get molds made, create fibre glass kit, sell = profit ?
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

Get an original built up, get molds made, create fibre glass kit, sell = profit ?
I've got fiberglass experience and I'd love to have a go but honestly from my experience, the "kit" still wouldn't be cheap, even in fiberglass. The amount of work you'd have to put in would make it a full time business and that'd mean full time wages which ultimately means expensive kits. I'd suggest at least in the £400-£500 price range, that's even before factoring in materials. Chuck in a 32" LCD and some sticks/buttons and whatever else is needed and your getting close to real Vewlix prices.

Don't even bother thinking about wood, your talking carpenter's time there and that 'aint cheap.

If you had a Vewlix to take casts off then that'd make life easier but I can't see too many people offering up their cabs to be disassembled and molded.

-Joel
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

Do it like those ST-V cabinets and just cast it from garbage can plastic :awe:

Just look at the build quality on that one :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I'd quite like to see one of those melt
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

Xenepp wrote:
I've got fiberglass experience and I'd love to have a go but honestly from my experience, the "kit" still wouldn't be cheap, even in fiberglass. The amount of work you'd have to put in would make it a full time business and that'd mean full time wages which ultimately means expensive kits. I'd suggest at least in the £400-£500 price range, that's even before factoring in materials. Chuck in a 32" LCD and some sticks/buttons and whatever else is needed and your getting close to real Vewlix prices.

Don't even bother thinking about wood, your talking carpenter's time there and that 'aint cheap.

If you had a Vewlix to take casts off then that'd make life easier but I can't see too many people offering up their cabs to be disassembled and molded.

-Joel
Yeah but a lot of it is also about the ease to be able to buy. joe blog is not wanting or would not even know how to get hold of a vewlix as it requires tracking down and such. so even if it was half or two thirds of the price it would likley be popular. Wang an 360 in there and you would sell them like hot cakes. people like the idea of having an arcade in there home but still perfer home gaming (GTA, tomb raider, halo)
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

Yeah I wouldn't mind betting they'd sell ok but to make it worth the effort you'd have to go public with it and if you did that I'd guarantee Taito'd jump up and down on you ;)

-Joel
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

good luck finding a mold maker to make you molds for a patented item :|

they are licensed workers...they **** around, they lose license to work.....

you would have to change the design and go through the whole patents process......if it infringed even slightly(patents can be very broad and vague at times)you are back to square one and have to re-pay once you file the altered patents

no cleared patents, no molds

a buddy of mine and I tried to develop 'universal soul plates' for rollerblades(***agressive inline*** :awe: )and the patent **** ruined it....because of some patents held by K2, it was almost impossible to develop a comparable product without infringing

its a tricky business, and you dont wanna **** with patent lawyers :evil:
on the loose
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Just have to wait for the Chinese then, they really dont care too much for copyright ;-)

Plus they probably have the skills and lower wage costs to make something like this happen, it would also be a hell of a lot easy to ship flat packed ....

We need to get hold of one of the clone companies and see if they have any intentions of building a Vewlix clone sans lcd and controls ...

I'd buy a kit for max £400
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

anx10us wrote:We need to get hold of one of the clone companies and see whats holding up their production of a Vewlix clone
Fixed.
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

anx10us wrote:I'd buy a kit for max £400
Your dreeeeeeeamin' dude. ;)

-Joel
anx10us

Post by anx10us »

Xenepp wrote:
anx10us wrote:I'd buy a kit for max £400
Your dreeeeeeeamin' dude. ;)

-Joel
Why ? This would be a bare kit, no screen, no controls, no harness, no powersupply ....
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

Sounds like a load of old plastic :awe:
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?