Tetsujin's New Net City Restoration! -updated 25 Feb 09

Show off your wares.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Tetsujin's New Net City Restoration! -updated 25 Feb 09

Post by tetsujin »

People said to me that this arcade collecting can get infectious but I didn't believe them but here I am wanting my fourth machine!!! :D

I wanted another cab to play along side my Astro as I was tired of having to swap PCB's between games I liked and also wanted to play some MAME on there too.

I wanted a project as well as I like fixing and messing with things so I decided I wanted a Naomi cab as my next one!

So lets start form the top....

I needed a cab, so I went to Craig at http://www.giz10p.co.uk as he was selling some old dirty shells that needed some TLC and thats what I wanted.

He sent me a pic of this...

And I went to collect it.

I also needed a monitor that could handle DC games (31k) but also 15k for JAMMA games too. My plan was to eventually but 2 Naomi cabs, with a monitor suited for each but then I noticed Cools on here was giving away a Toshiba 29inch monitor minus the chassi. A few PM's later and a new chassi gave me a try sync monitor to allow all my gaming needs! :D

Craig at giz10p fitted a brand new Chassi and its as good as new!

After a very long and snowy drive home I unloaded the car which just fitted the cab in (Golf) and was tired so no images of the cab in the car but this is what it was like afterwards.

I started off with giving the thing a good clean

First the lower CP:

from...

to...

the the base unit:

from...

to...

but I knew the plastics would not be able to look 'new' so knew the only option was painting, so after it was clean, I pulled out the spray cans! :)

I wanted the unit to be a clean finish so took the time to repair any minor imperfections and scotched the base and primed the metal...

I then waited for the primer to dry and then flatted the primer smooth with wet and dry papers using soapy water to get a soft smooth surface to apply the paint on and to get a great even finish.

I then let the base dry in the sun before applying the paint.

Then started with the white paint...

this is what I used..

After its base coat was finished...

After the paint had dried, I then redid the front and sides with wet 1200 grit paper to giv a SUPER smooth finish ready for it final coat of paint tomorrow. This will ensure a quality finish that should last some time. I also plan to cut the legs as I want a NNC which will be going all original colours :)

Will update the thread when I do more pics :)

cheers
Adam :)

This is what I have done today (Sat 24 Jan)
Last edited by tetsujin on February 25th, 2009, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Re: Tetsujin's New Net City Restoration!

Post by mufunyo »

Nice! I never heard about the dry & wet paper trick before. Itching to see the final product!
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

great job - still find it amazing how such beat up cabs can be brought to life with a bit of hard work - going to have a pretty minty machine in the end i reckon!
:awe: :awe: :awe: :awe: :awe:
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Good job Adam!

Halfords paint looks like it gives a good finish. Nice and shiny! Are you cutting the CP for more buttons?
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Looking good!

Can't wait to see it in the flesh
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

The wet and dry sand paper idea is the same thing you do on car paint. Its prob a little OTT for the arcade machine as the original paint isn't as smooth as what this is now.

What happens is, when you apply the primmer, its still quite 'rough' n paint terms so, you use a VERY fine grade of sand paper, with soapy water (just a little bit of soap to help stop the paper clogging up. The water acts to stop the paper clogging up with what your rubbing off and to keep the friction down to help make the paper last longer.

it is used in between primmer and paint stages and is to achieve amazing finish. after painting the colour, you get an 'orange peel' effect in the paint, this is normal but sometimes if you wanted it like glass on a new car, you 'buff' the paint back with a super fine cutting agent like g3 to make the paint like glass.

Its also great to rub out 'runs' in paint work, which I had a few tiny runs in mine.

I wont be doing that for this as there is a chance you can buff too much and 'burn the paint, and have to start again! Esp and a arcade cab like this hs so many akward shapes! :D

but the finish should be good for a old arcade machine in my bedroom! :D hahaha

The paint is a 'Applience Gloss White, and is the same colour as my washer and dishwasher! I got this as it was the best value for money in size-price and is also a flat colour (non metalic) so it will not need a gloss/laquer finishi afterwards! so less wor. Its pretty much a perfect match for white machines

I am getting a new 6 button CP and NNC overlay when I can afford it, with matching NNC coloured buttons and sticks :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
geldra

Post by geldra »

Nice work! I'm thinking of refreshing my Aero a little (mainly the CP and monitor surround), what did you use to "repair minor imperfections"?
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

geldra wrote:Nice work! I'm thinking of refreshing my Aero a little (mainly the CP and monitor surround), what did you use to "repair minor imperfections"?
well, if you have light scratches and want them to not show up use a filler primer. its a thickser primer han normal and builds up more to rub down.

If its a dent/hole you want to fill use P38 car body filler.

You will need to use different grades of sandpaper to get a decent result as rubbing marks will show up in the paint if you dont go up the grades of sand paper.

My rough guide for a good finish...

General painting of ok condition parts:

If you have a part you want to paint that is already in good condition but you want to just refresh or change the paint colour use RED SCOTCH pads. This is only used if there is good paint already there and not bare metal is showing. if there is some bare metal showing, then use primer on the bare areas. once dried, go over the areas you at to paint with the SCOTCH pad (use red and not the one attached to the green sponge in the sink as its to harsh) and then LAYER the paint. DO NOT RUSH THE PAINT APPLICATION OR IT WILL BUILD UP AND RUN. Do light dust coats with a few mins (4-5) in between coats until the area is fully covered in paint :)

NEVER RUSH PAINTING as it will run and look CRAP! :D

If you want to get a super smooth finish then you need to wet and dry the area, using 800 grit-1200 grit paper.

Use this with warm slightly soapy water and dont worry about getting the paper or metal wet. rub gently and not harsh in a single stroke manner, try not to go all directions keep it steady. use you fingger tips to feel how smoot the are is. if its smooth it good to paint. Follow the steps above for painting.

Sometimes if your applying paint, silicone can be on the area you are painting, and can cause the paint to react. to combat this, use surface cleaner/panle wipe befor you spray the are. this take off any grease/grime/silicone that can harm your paint job.

for repairs, use the P38 and follow instructions for mixing. Its normally a pea sized amount of hardener to a golf ball size of filler. Mix until it is a solid, non streaky colour (normally pink). The hardener and filler mixed together will make the filer eventually go hard/set. Before this happen use a flat applicator (normally comes with the set) or a credit card etc to apply the filler. Do not put on to much, you can always add more but its harder to rub down excessive amounts so if its a big repair build it up! :D then rub down smooth with 180 grit paper (no water as this is to low a grade of paper. keep rubbing the area. If its a larger area use a rubbing block, as this will do a nice flat rub. then go up to 400 grit, then 600-800 grit.

Prime the area, then flat it with 1200 wet paper :)

Then follow step above for painting.

I am not a professional painter so best read up on the net.

Just look at how panting cars is done, but for an arcade machine, the finish isnt normally as good as a cars paint job anyway so don get too hung up on detail unless you want to! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
theman
eBay: aero_city
Initials: RJC

Post by theman »

Your gonna make a great wife to somebody if you get the dishes that clean aswell..... :awe:
geldra

Post by geldra »

Thanks for the write up, very helpful. I think I'm going to attempt the Aero refresh next weekend (if I can be arsed and if I can rope some friends in). :)
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Looking forward to the finished unit
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

well, update,

I did most of this last week but I havent been able to upload my images on Photobucket at home so hence the delay.

I wanted to keep a better log of pictures to show the stages of resto but I m crap and do work before I take pics so hence the crap images! :D

ok....
now all the base was painted, I needed to concentrate on the plastics. They were yellow and no t cut would remove it enough for me to be happy so it was out with the paint!
I had to use a PLASTIC primer . I scotched the panels and then applied the primer...

After this, i flatted it with wet 1200 grit paper for a smooth finish an applied the whit paint in 4 stage coats...
(this pic was BEFORE i painte dthe monitor panel.)

You can see the difference in colour an why I needed paint New VS Old!

after this I was bored of painting so I wanted to spend Friday night playing! :D

Camera phones suck! so I will get some really nice images of it all complete (minus the CD and NNC graphics) soon! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Looking excellent, plus Zero Gunner 2.... even more excellent!
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

yeah, im not great at it but I do like it! :D

Also playing GigaWing 2, Under Defeat and Trizeal :) and crap at them all! D I cant imagine how good a player some people must be to do perfect runs on some of these games andthe later levels!
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

tetsujin wrote:yeah, im not great at it but I do like it! :D

Also playing GigaWing 2... and crap at them all!
My son is going to be 5 in April and can finish Gigawing 2 - by no means is it a perfect round, but he has gotten a lot better since the Mini Naomi was placed in the kitchen. I've got footage of him shooting the hell out of alien spacecraft on video. Puts me to shame!

I'm still on the hunt for 'Border Down' and 'Ikaruga'. Two titles that are remaining remarkably elusive!

P.S. I bet the wife goes mental with bits of arcade lying around the house - if so, welcome to the club. I do that 'drying off items in front of newly cleaned towels on radiators!'
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Parris wrote:
tetsujin wrote:yeah, im not great at it but I do like it! :D

Also playing GigaWing 2... and crap at them all!
My son is going to be 5 in April and can finish Gigawing 2 - by no means is it a perfect round, but he has gotten a lot better since the Mini Naomi was placed in the kitchen. I've got footage of him shooting the hell out of alien spacecraft on video. Puts me to shame!

I'm still on the hunt for 'Border Down' and 'Ikaruga'. Two titles that are remaining remarkably elusive!

P.S. I bet the wife goes mental with bits of arcade lying around the house - if so, welcome to the club. I do that 'drying off items in front of newly cleaned towels on radiators!'
**hangs head in shame**

You son sound ace! :D I just dont gel well with shoot em ups but do like them. Give me a driving or beat em up and im ok but im trying to adapt.

As for the house issue. I live with my best mate. Im not gay or anything just chaper this wa! :D

4 bedroomed 3 storey house, Astro City in the livingroom with a 200 inch projector and surround sound, dedicated 'games room' for my PS3/Xbox etc with a couch. and my Naomi in my bedroom! As its my house I just do what I like! :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

CP looks well clean now,have you done the monitor surround yet? What primer/paint did you use for the plastics?
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

tetsujin wrote: I live with my best mate. Im not gay or anything just chaper this wa! :D

Of course... just you keep telling yourself that... until one night, when you've both had a little too much to drink, a few stolen glances and then BAM!! Sore-4rse-central :lol:
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

chubsta wrote:
tetsujin wrote: I live with my best mate. Im not gay or anything just chaper this wa! :D

Of course... just you keep telling yourself that... until one night, when you've both had a little too much to drink, a few stolen glances and then BAM!! Sore-4rse-central :lol:
Well, if that hasn't put you off sharing a house with your mate, nothing will!
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

ah, my ****....

:D

As for paints

This is what I did/used.

Red scotch panel

HALFORDS yellow Filler Primer (I used yellow as I can see where the paint has been applied as white primer is hard to see where I have sprayed)

When sprayed and dried, rub down with WET 1200 grit sand paper (again, i got it from Halfords for £2) until smooth

Dry and wipe with Halfords Surface Cleaner and CLEAN cloth and leave no dust/bits etc.

Spray in about 5 light coats (to reduce runs) with

HALFORDS Appliance Gloss White

Once sprayed, leave to harden (about 48 hours and then TCut to get rid of Orange Peel.

If you needed to do any repairs (cracks ad marls etc, you need to used the appropriate grade paper in stages to make the area smooth again for priming! :)

Will get pics up of the Surround and stuuf this weekend, it looks REALLY GOOD and has cost me a few nights work and about £60 in paint. :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats