Psykick's Candy refurb and pimp project..

Show off your wares.
Psykick

Psykick's Candy refurb and pimp project..

Post by Psykick »

Hi guys,

Finally took some time to post a topic concerning my whole project of getting my two cabs finished and up and running. It's about completely renovating a New Astro City which I recently bought of the deal in Holland, these cabs were in horrific state and finishing off the job I started on the Neo Candy 29.

I'm going to try to post in order of where I started and will update now and then as progress is being made, of which I hope will be very soon. First of all some pics of the Astro been taken apart. I'll also will try to mention what the cost of all the things are so we can get a pretty accurate picture of what the total will be on the end. First of all the Astro cost me 525 Euro and 50 Euro voor the trip to pick it up.

These were some random pics of the disassembly process, as you can see it was in a horrible state and I really had no choice then to rip it all apart....
Psykick

Re: Psykick's Candy refurb and pimp project..

Post by Psykick »

After taking it all apart the next step was to take it to a carwash to thoroughly clean it with highpressure sprayfoam and ****. I had to get all that gooey **** of the cab first before it was going to the painter. This all costed me 10 Euro...

Now the parts are ready to get their paintjob, at first it was a bit hard to find someone fit for the job and they charged too much, but finally I found someone through a friend who is going to do it for around 200 Euro. The result will be seen on next monday I hope, I already heard it's done and it looks superb!

Waiting for the paintjob gives me time to start with the internals of the cab. First of I wanted to start with the monitor, all the monitors were in pretty bad shape cosmetic wise, not burn in or something. So I went to a glassrepair company and let them polish my monitor. You can't see it in the pictures but there were a lot of scratches on the surface and I had to get rid of those. Luckily those scratches are all in the coatinglayer and can be polished, so you get rid of the whole coating and of course all the scratches vanish!

Carefully look at the pics and you can see a difference in colour where the coating has been...

The polishing machine couldn't handle the outer side of the monitor, so we did that by hand...

And there you go, a perfectly shining, scratchfree monitor, fantastic!

This costed merely 35 Euro!
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

Nice projects you got going there, I hope the finished item is as good as the hardwork you are putting in deserves.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

I'm also going to turn the cab into 220 plus I want to coinmech to be Euro, so I went off to Suzo in Holland and bought me a new 0,50 coinmech plus loads of other things I will show later.

This was just a drop in replacement en it costed 25 Euro

At this time I'm waiting for a lot of stuff to come from Excellent and some things from EBay and Ultimarc to continue on the puzzle and all. So to be continued....

In the meanwhile I'm working on finishing my Neo Candy that is almost done, there just a lot of internal things that I need to finish. I want this to be a machine that can house a Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox 360, MAME and a MVS. I 've come a long way from what it was and will show you some pics from a long time ago and from where it is going now.

A lot of things in this cab are custom, like the speakers, the Neo 29 marquee, the neon and the whole internal cabling etc. etc.

Here's an impression of my crib with all the parts scattered all over the place, on the ground there are 2 pc's that I'll use for MAME later..

Psykick

Post by Psykick »

Here'sa small update on my Neo 29, I created some more space in the cab by lifting the Subwoofer and puting the Dreamcast and VGA switcher underneath it. This way I'll probably be able to fit a 360, MAME PC and 1 slot MVS in there...

capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Nice start, keep us posted!

By the way, the "instruction space" strip you have is for a Blast City machine, not an astro. I can scan the astro one for you if you'd like.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

Great pictures Psykick, any chance of a picture of the Neo 29 with the Control panel open so I can see the 2 locks that hold down the control panel, mine are missing on my Neo 29 and I need to know what to get. a measurement would be great as well ;) ;) if possible.

Thanks in advance
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

Wow guru you have ubereyes man, that would be wonderful! If you can make a high res scan of it I would be very pleased. ;)
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

thegreathopper wrote:Great pictures Psykick, any chance of a picture of the Neo 29 with the Control panel open so I can see the 2 locks that hold down the control panel, mine are missing on my Neo 29 and I need to know what to get. a measurement would be great as well ;) ;) if possible.

Thanks in advance
Thnx dude and I'll make some pics this weekend and post them, but I must say that I really improvised some **** there to make it work, but hey it works like a charm. So you can try to copy what I did, I was also going to look into that when all is finished to make something more original, but then again this does the job. Like I said will post some nice closeup pics later, now of to bed dude ;)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

great post mate,love to see this sort of stuff.i just love the van with the cab parts crammed in
good work mate ;)
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Psykick wrote:Wow guru you have ubereyes man, that would be wonderful! If you can make a high res scan of it I would be very pleased. ;)
Sometime soon I'll bring it to work with me and use their ultra high quality scanner.
mastercello
eBay: mastercello
Initials: BUS

Post by mastercello »

Excellent report psykick...love it too, to see threads like this :!:
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

In the meantime I delegated some work to a couple of DTP'ers I know good. The first assignment was for a friend of mine who also prints stickers to make replicas of the sideart. As I'm going to make the my Astro more pink with highlights of green I wanted the sideart to be pink. Lucky for me because the green on the original stickers is fluorescent and somehow it's hard for these huge printers to produce that colour, so you get a different kind of green. The pink I have could've been a bit more pink, but still I think this colour will also look really sweet. Have look for yourself and give me your opinion.

Btw I will upload all this **** later in .eps format along with the CP overlays that are getting a nice overhaul. So everybody can use them.

Greetz! ;)
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

capcomguru wrote:
Psykick wrote:Wow guru you have ubereyes man, that would be wonderful! If you can make a high res scan of it I would be very pleased. ;)
Sometime soon I'll bring it to work with me and use their ultra high quality scanner.
Great :D
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

Well I went to get to the painted parts yesterday and was really anxious to get my hands on them. First I want to say that the guys that painted the cab are two young dudes that work for a company that paint big trucks and stuff and are pros. I got to know them from a friend and they charged me a very nice price of 200 Euro, but you can hear a but coming up of course hehe. I had a bit of a setback, because the cab was painted perfect, but the bezel and the housing of the front with the speakers and all were a bit of a mess. They had planned to take the parts to their wrok but weren't allowed for some reason and painted the parts in a pretty dusty environment and there was also some paint particles in the pistol that they didn't take notice of and they ended up with good paintwork, but with dust and particles on the entire surface, which frankly was not acceptable, at least for me not. So I clearly let them know that I'm a perfectionist and couldn't accept it that way. Of course in the end they could also understand and promised me to do it all over in the right environment, so it'll be perfect in the end, but this set me back for another week I guess. Anyway it's better to take a bit longer and get a perfect product then have it right now and constantly see that **** on the paint. Anyway the other parts are brilliant and this what it looks like right now

poolchamp

Post by poolchamp »

Top job. Looking forward to the finished job
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

Had a little setback on the DTP work and the renovation of my house, so will be continuing very shortly ;)
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

Well after a little while some of the artwork is nearing completion and I want to show how it's going to look like. This is the one player panel and it kinda sets the tone for the rest of the cab art. In my opinion it looks off the hook, but of course you critics out there are very welcome to comment me on it, it's still a work in progress, behold....

It's all completely vector so the final product will be ultra high quality of course, I'm gonna sell em to Sega hahaha
Psykick

Post by Psykick »

Btw the image I uploaded is very small so you can't make out all of the text that's written, but believe me it's Engrish good ;) keeping the original lines in tact like state - of - the- art - sound and stuff
Retro_Boy_G
AWOL

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Id buy one if you were selling dude. Very nice! I love the pink.. kinda reminds me of a dance mat.
"Apologies to Mr Meg if this whole drama has people thinking you're some kind of SFIV prirate pimp." - Superpang