anti-static bag for pcbs

PCB problems and fixes
oni-warrior
Please Continue...
anti-static bag for pcbs

Post by oni-warrior »

:) hello

1-do i have to use an anti-static glove when im handling pcbs?

2-Can i keep the pcb in anti-static bag while it is connected (i mean when im using it)? Do i have to?

3-Can i keep the pcb always attached to jamma connector? and how do i switch it off (can i?), i mean can i have to switch off the cabinet from the main switch while the pcb is on?

would these measures keep the pcbs from damages?

im a beginner to arcade stufff, your help is appreciated?
oni-warrior
Please Continue...
Re: anti-static bag for pcbs

Post by oni-warrior »

thanks really appreciate your answers :D
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

oni-warrior wrote:2-Can i keep the pcb in anti-static bag while it is connected (i mean when im using it)? Do i have to?
Absolutely not - the material is conductive and can completely destroy your boards if in contact when powered up.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

They are very hardy aye. I bought a bunhc of PCBs from an op the other month and 60% had stopped working by the time I got them home. I took them back to his workshop as he offered to look at them, and he literally used all his weight to push down on the chips - then all my boards worked again! I'd been babying them too much apparently. :)
jpj

Post by jpj »

it's always a good idea to clean your pcbs regularly as well, by using a dishwasher

(okay that's a joke :) )
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Plenty do it
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Big thread about cleaning PCBs on J+ recently.

I'll quote P-Man:
P-Man wrote:Water/iso-p dumping methods will destroy any original paper labels, and any inked on factory marks, so in general this is not suitable for most older (pre 1985) pcbs unless you want to destroy all of that - which is a shame.

These sorts of bath methods are usually reserved for pcbs that are way beyond regular dry cleaning methods, but they seem popular with white-glove collectors who are more interested in visually clean pcbs than with the actual care of their vintage electronics. Granted, Naomis aren't old or rare yet, so go ahead and keep dumping them in vats of liquid, no real concern here :)

Get a decent 1" paint brush and brush the dust away, this will remove and clean 95% of dirt from your pcb if you don't want the dust. Use a toothbrush for hard to get or tricky areas. heck, if you want to move just the dust and not even brush a potentially static harbouring device over your cherished pcb then use an air line, it wont remove 'films' of dirt though, and can rip off any paper labels with old/poor adhesive. You can buy proper anti-static brushes for these jobs too, but i have found a kind of brush that is fine for doing all these things with no noticeable failure rate.

With all the thousands of printed circuit boards that have been created over the years, isn't it funny how people have to resort to plastic tubs with chemicals if they want to clean with liquids? Thats because you shouldn't really be doing it.

The only water/chemical bathing equipment you will find commercially is for the production of new pcbs, and to remove heavy oils, greases, waxes and flux. Your ostensible aim is to remove dirt (dust) which can be achieved with dry brushes. The OP's aim for cleaning dodgy contacts needs mild abbrasion to remove oxidisation or replacing of components in question to rectify the issue. No immersive liquid situation is going to clean your dodgy contacts without having numerous other negative side-effects.

For roms and sockets, namfreak, as previosuly stated, you shouldn't be spraying anything into them. You seem convinced that there does exist a magic spray that will clear up all those dodgy connections for you. Keep up with the search, or heed the advice, its up to you how you spend your time on this earth.

Any comments in a forum (that is supposedly about 'caring' for old electronics) that encourage any liquids getting anywhere near old pcbs without adequate warnings in place will only result in people trashing good old stuff that didn't need cleaning in the first place by them experimenting with new methods when they could just get a brush and remove the dust, or a suitable mild abbrasive method for cleaning contacts, and replacing any that are too far gone.

Remember, plastic IC packages have water ingress ratings, they are not waterproof, some are porus and die as a result of being bathed in water. Heck, keeping a pcb out in a cold garage may kill it, a damp garage has moisture in the air, all of which is drawn to an anhydrous plastic product and condenses upon naturally. Not to mention capacitors, coils, diodes, transistors, all of which tolerate moisture differently.

Its kind of like how the house of lords is suposed to work (although thats a whole other discussion nowadays)... If nobody steps in and says anything to counter it, these misguided discussions go on and new people read them as if its all ok to do these things... kinda like an anorexia/bolemia forum where a bunch of sufferers supports each others 'addiction' and actions. Just because a few people do it, post about it, and think everything is ok, it doesn't mean it is safe/sensible to do so in the grand scheme of things.

I think thats enough of my opinion on the subject.
And myself:
cools wrote: Only time I wash PCBs is if they have had liquid poured on them already - which has congealed.

Remove any socketed chips, wash in hot running water with some sort of detergent and a toothbrush. Shake and wipe to remove as much water as possible, hand dryer/hair dryer, then compressed air to get out anything from underneath SMT stuff and inside sockets. Repeat air/wipe till visibly dry, then leave for 24 hours to dry fully.

Fixed a motherboard and a stick of RAM that'd received a healthy splash of hot chocolate like this last week. Not working - wash - working.
And me again when being asked about salts in the water.
cools wrote: We get no limescale here. None whatsoever. The tap water is fantastic quality.

I guess if you do have hard water in your area it might make sense to use deionized/distilled water - you'd be preventing future corrosion from deposited salts. Or even just do the final rinse with it.
Paintbrush, toothbrush, compressed air, and a pencil eraser (for cleaning the edge connector) are the only tools you need for safely cleaning boards :)
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

invzim wrote:
oni-warrior wrote:2-Can i keep the pcb in anti-static bag while it is connected (i mean when im using it)? Do i have to?
Absolutely not - the material is conductive and can completely destroy your boards if in contact when powered up.
Uh.... It's conductive but at a high amount of resistance. I regularly power up boards while they are sitting on antistatic bags or foam... pink and silver. It's not like you are sitting the board on a sheet of aluminum foil!

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

agreed....when i first got a supergun and esprade i didnt have any feet for it, so i sat it n the anti-static bag when playing it.....no problems

still....play it safe and get some feet for your PCB's...they are cheap
on the loose