Model2 and naomi emulators running on my net city *UPDATED*

Everything Emulator related
philbee
Please Continue...

Re: Model2 and naomi emulators running on my net city *UPDATED*

Post by philbee »

make seureyour plugin menu is set correcty for the keyboard under maple devices.

DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

It is, although for some reason an extra button is working
philbee
Please Continue...

Post by philbee »

have you applied the naomi keyboard plugin fix?
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

Yes, but I think I've worked out the problem.

The Jvs-Pac is hard coded to the default mame layout. Thats great for mame, because you can plug it in and you don't need to configure it. However mame uses keys that in windows will cause intereferance with the menu bar for an application. Because nulldc runs in a window (Can;t seem to get reliable full screen?) the controls interfere with the application causing the buttons to react with the window, and not the game. Thats why other emulators work fine control wise, because they have no menus to interfere with.

I need to force it to always run in fullscreen and hopefully get some luck.

edit: nope, it's how the program works, it's just going to interfere and I don't think you can remap the Jvspac
philbee
Please Continue...

Post by philbee »

ok, i use the ipac from ultimarc which is reprogrammable with a free simple program. Highly recommended.
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

philbee wrote:ok, i use the ipac from ultimarc which is reprogrammable with a free simple program. Highly recommended.
I wish to retain my dedicated naomi hardware though, so it's not really practical

I'll keep fiddling with Makaron and dcemul, controls work fine, there are just other things to sort out (Shikigami doesn't seem to work, no proper full screen so far)
philbee
Please Continue...

Post by philbee »

My ipac is wired to a set of sockets exactly the same as the ones that the button looms plug into in the control panel making it simple to switch from ipac to original naomi hardware-just plug in and out.
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

If I can get vertical naomi titles running great then it will be going in the tate cabinet, which has a J-Pac. However I need to either try soft 15khz or get a PCI-E ArcadeVGA before I do that
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I've got some naomi games running on my cab with NullDC very nicely (thanks phillbee). I just used a cheapo 7300 LE (I bought it for my Mum's old computer over a year ago for £15) and 1GB ram to give Joel's "mametopia" board a little boost from the onboard GPU and it does the job perfectly now. :D

One problem though - I can't get "Port B" to work whatsoever. I have the new input fix as I couldn't get most games to accept input at all without it, but I just can't get player 2 working.

I go to "plugin select" and make sure the plugin is selected for both ports A and B, I go into the controller configuration and change port B to "2" for "Start", but it never works. :roll:

Any ideas?

Dandy_Sephy wrote:If I can get vertical naomi titles running great then it will be going in the tate cabinet, which has a J-Pac. However I need to either try soft 15khz or get a PCI-E ArcadeVGA before I do that
Dandy, I had to reinstall the video drivers and Soft15khz when I changed the GPU on Joel's mamebox. It's not too bad really, I can't imagine that I'm really missing out on anything by not having the arcadeVGA (except a £60 lighter wallet). I had to use old nvidia drivers though (took me a couple of hours to figure that out at the time!) ...Let me know if you need any help.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Does anyone find the sound in nulldc tinny?

I know there are a few plug-ins for sound, but they all seem a bit mince :?
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

I have a CD2 running at 2.13, 4gb of 800hz ram & a pci-e "half size" 256mb radeon for nulldc.

Unfortunately im want this running on my projector so 640x480 whilst nice on an arcade monitor looks a bit poo on my projector.
Tried upping it to 1024x768...shmups work fine...but SC & DOA slow down quite appaulingly... :cry:

Made some alterations to the configs but then the graphics start looking a bit ****.

Does anyone know how null dc runs in terms of graphics draw......i.e. gpu, cpu or ram as priorities??

p.s. model2 runs "full speed" @ 1024x768 & is sex!! :awe: :oops:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

apparently, the latest nulldc graphics driver relies comparatively more on gpu than the old one. You could use the old chankast driver, which relies mainly on CPU, but I think that your CPU is possibly just slightly low for it. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure on your best bet, if I were in your spot and was to upgrade only one thing, I would guess graphics.Cchankast driver is mores glitchy, so might as well rule it out as a very good solution and surely, if it's running fine at 640 with your CPU, 1024 would just need a better gpu wouldn't it?

If it does need it (and your up for it), I'm pretty sure your CPU overclocks very well.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cheers for the advice pubjoe....will check what driver im using tonight...

will also look into poss gpu upgrades.....

so cpu overclocking........................."TALK TO ME"!!!! :awe:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Errr... When I said driver, I ment plugin. :-)

As for overclocking your CPU, Ive never done a c2d myself, and I'm on my phone so I can't really be arsed to look around atm :oops:. But I remember when intel brought the chips out, reviewers were saying that the lower clock speed versions overclocked to pretty fast speeds. I'm only going from memory here and I have no idea how easy it is to do. It might be as easy as just going to your bios and incrementally increasing the mhz/multiplier and voltage by 0.1.

Do a a google search for overclocking your specific chip, there's loads of websites/forums with good guides on that sort of thing. Just make sure you try small amounts at a time, don't let the temperature go too high, keep your final speed a little below the maximum you can get it at and when you've settled at a speed "stress test" your computer for at LEAST an hour - keeping an eye on temps.

...Hope that helps, you will find far better advice from someone else though. Also, if/when you try your first overclock - test nullDC's framerates at 1024 to see if it's actually making a difference ...As I say, it'll very likely just be the graphics card that is struggling at high res.

Again though, you can find better Hardware requirement advice on the nullDC (try ngemu.com) forums and better overclocking advice on overclocking forums. Don't just rely on my guess-work!
Last edited by pubjoe on February 9th, 2009, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmauro
Please Continue...

Post by dmauro »

CPU overclocking has a lot to do with your motherboard as well. If you've never done it before, I wouldn't recommend it without someone or some guide to walk you through it (what aftermarket cooler to get, what kind of mobo works best, bios settings, etc). I had my brother help me out, and in the end I just run my c2d at stock speed usually because I find it's not entirely stable, and I have to run the fans at noisier speeds to keep things cool too.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

^^^ yes yes yes.

Also, if you ask for advice elsewhere. Gain as much information about your computer as you can: motherboard and CPU model and type of heatsink/fan (cooler) - take a photo if you have to.

You may find the hassel isn't worth it, but I imagine that your pretty close to running it full speed, so a slight Iverclock could be enough.

I'm still betting on the graphics card though. ...Actually (temporarily) overclocking your gpu is often easier (depending on the card), too easy in fact using software. But I'm not going to say anything about that other than graphics cards are usually more easily buggered up this way (which I've done myself).

One last thing, overclocking does shorten the life of hardware.
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

GAH. I've found out a fairly rare game I want was dumped in jan and is playable (although Guru hasn't dumped it yet), but can i find it? Can i f***.
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

I also can;t get this bloody nulldc launcher working. Won't load any roms, and I've reinstalled the emulator and started from scratch. :( Roms load fine in nulldc, but not with the launcher, and I need the launcher to stop windows interfering with the JVS-PAC
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Hi,

When you say "loader", do you mean the script that brian_hoffman put up at ngemu (emuforums) to use nulldc with a front end? If not ignore the following... :D

He made several different versions of it and the most up to date ones can be downoaded here ...Well I think they are the most up to date ones, I know that he had put versions up on a few different threads, so I cant be 100% sure now that my memory has faded.

Anyway, I'm using mala with the loader ...Would you like me to check my mala cfg? ...As I think there might have been a specific command line that was needed for nulldc.
DandySephy
Please Continue...

Post by DandySephy »

Thats the one, I'm using the most recent version from that thread. I was trying it from command prompt, and its not passing the filename onto nulldc. I've checked the entry time and time again, and using altternate inputs, but it won't see either of my two 'roms'